DIY Publicity Lessons from the Wizard of Oz
Can Lend Magic Fuel to New Year’s Success
By Nancy Juetten
The just released 70th Anniversary Edition of the classic film “The Wizard of Oz” is as memorable and evergreen as the Emerald City. And, the story brings into clear focus some powerful do-it-yourself publicity lessons that are equally evergreen for business and success planning for the New Year.
- You don’t have to fly over the rainbow to get much of what you want. Most of the media coverage you seek to make a difference in your business can be found in your own backyard.
- Don’t let “blue bird envy” stand in your way. Wishing and hoping doesn’t get the job done. Get into action today to earn the attention you seek for your message.
- Big news always rings loud and clear – Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help to get what you need. Good witches and mentors are everywhere -- if you just ask the local munchkins for quality recommendations.
- Along your yellow brick road to success, don’t settle for Munchkin Land when the Land of Oz is what you really want. Think big about what you want to accomplish and the perfect media outlets where you most want your message to be heard.
- Celebrate new media. If the crystal ball isn’t delivering the solutions and information you need, find alternative ways learn what you need to know to carry your message forward.
- There will be forks in the road and different paths to take along your journey to DIY publicity success. Make a choice, put some spring in your step, and have some fun along the way.
- It takes brains, courage, and heart to make your message stand out.
- Frame your story as a horse of a different color so it stands apart.
- Choose local color to invite memorable and remarkable photo opportunities.
- You have to be willing to put up with things that get in your way, like angry apples, flying monkeys, wicked witches, and sleep-inducing poppies.
- Put your best dress on and your best face forward before you make your pitch.
- Collaborate with a quality team when making your approach.
- Never underestimate the power of a sassy pair of shoes to boost your confidence when pitching a story or doing anything that really matters in your life.
- Don’t easily surrender Dorothy. Be willing to fight for the coverage you want.
- “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.” You have more power to make things happen in your business than you ever thought possible. You just have to look in your bag of tricks to find the right tools and resources to the get the mission accomplished. And you have to use them.
- There is no place like home. Start your media efforts close to home.
- Earn loyal friends, fans and followers with every step you take. That will go a long way to lend strength and momentum to your buzz-building effort here and beyond, today and forever.
- As you make your own storytelling plans for the New Year, commit to learning new skills to make sure your message is heard, or add the right members to your winning team to bring an element of magic dust to your success equation.
Set your course, make your plans, and journey forward with quality effort and the conviction to achieve the media recognition you seek.
Just as Dorothy discovered, you can make a lot of magic happen if you just click your heels together and get to work.
Nancy S. Juetten is a newspaper columnist, speaker, Publici-Tea™ trainer, and the author of the Bye-Bye Boring Bio Action Guide. If you are a rock star, but your website bio is all washed up, this guide shows you how to write a rockin' bio, one step-by-easy-step. Get an excerpt from this popular guide when you opt-in to receive the Media-Savvy-to-Go ezine at www.byebyeboringbio.com.